Educator Resources

Learn More About the ACE Teacher Program
Apply Today
Educators in the ACE teaching program are ambassadors for their country and bring with them knowledge, culture, and global awareness to students, peer teachers, administrators, parents and the community. Living and working in the U.S. will require an adjustment period, and Global has provided links below to help educators understand their cultural transition and hopefully make the adjustment effortless and enjoyable. Listed below are areas of interest for you to not only navigate your cultural transition and adjustment but links for you to enjoy your time when not working!

Important Links

Working in the United States

J-1 Visa

Social Security

Teacher Licensure and Certification

North Carolina

South Carolina

Department of Motor Vehicles

North Carolina

South Carolina

Living in the United States

North Carolina

The official travel and tourism site for North Carolina. From the beautiful Smoky Mountains to glorious beaches, this site allows you to explore trip ideas, stories, videos, photos and interactive maps to help plan your weekend trips or vacations across North Carolina. Areas of interest include Arts and Entertainment, Food and Drink, Music, Shopping, History and Heritage, Kids and Family, Outdoor Adventure and Sport.

Learn More

South Carolina

The official travel and tourism site for South Carolina. From historical Charleston’s mossy oaks to the beaches and shopping in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina has a vibrant culture, rich heritage and breathtaking natural beauty. Areas of interest include Recreation, Outdoors, Beaches, Shopping, Music, Museums and Arts, State Parks and Family Getaways.

Learn More

For School Districts

Global Teaching Partners is an Official Authorized U.S. Department of State J-1 Visa Exchange Visitor Program Sponsor and recognized and approved by the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction (DPI) and the South Carolina Department of Education (DOE).

Academic and Cultural Exchange (ACE) teachers are professionally credentialed educators with extensive teaching experience that are required to have online training and a comprehensive U.S. Arrival orientation before their teaching assignment.

Global Teaching Partners provides the recruitment, application process, initial interviews, placement, teaching licensure, visa processing, orientations, and aids in extensive teacher development and cultural exchange during their stay in the U.S. Listed below are the programs offered to ACE teachers throughout their employment in the U.S.

For more information on hiring a Global teacher, please call us at 919-361-6951 or complete the Contact Us form.

These programs are designed to create a mutual understanding between people of the U.S. and other countries and provide cross-cultural activities in schools and communities. Also, the programs enable teachers to understand American culture, society, and teaching practices better, and enhance their knowledge of foreign cultures, customs, and teaching approaches. ACE teachers are well prepared for success and excited to be a positive influence in U.S. schools.

  • U.S. Culture and Diversity Workshop
  • International Teacher Fellowship
  • Professional Development Opportunities
  • Global Lesson Plans, Curriculum, and Resources
  • International Education Week
  • Network, Collaboration, and Classroom-to-Classroom Opportunities
  • Annual Global Teacher Consortium
  • Cultural Exchange Symposium for District Central Office Staff
  • Graduate Degree Scholarships

Frequently Asked Questions

Is there a fee to teach with Global Teaching Partners?

No. Global does not charge a fee to applicants or teachers. Costs that may be incurred and paid to other entities may include fees for a police background check, a U.S. visa, official transcripts and a U.S. teaching licensing.

Does my degree from my home country meet the minimum requirement of a U.S. bachelor’s degree?

The U.S. Department of Education has specific parameters to determine if your degree is equivalent to a Bachelor of Education in the U.S. Global will review your application to determine eligibility for the ACE teacher program and a J-1 Visa.

I do not have a teaching license in the U.S.? Should I apply?

All teachers are required to obtain a teaching license in their state of employment when working in the U.S. Once you have applied for the ACE program, Global will evaluate your university coursework, teacher training, and teaching experience to ensure eligibility for a teaching license. If eligible and hired by a school district, Global will assist you in obtaining your state teaching license by submitting your completed documentation to your state’s department of education.

Is there an English language fluency exam?

Global evaluates the English proficiency of all candidates through interviews, which are conducted only in English.

Can I apply if I do not have a driver’s license?

Global teachers must provide a copy of a valid driver’s license from their home country as part of the requirements.

Why is a driver’s license required to apply?

In many U.S. cities and towns, public transportation may not be available to and from your home and employment. Due to this, it is a requirement that all Global teachers have a driver’s license and suggested that you purchase a vehicle upon arrival.

If selected as a Global teacher, can my family accompany me to the U.S.?

Global sponsors immediate family members of teachers on a J-2 visa. Family members eligible for a J-2 visa include legal spouses and unmarried dependent children under the age of 21. Any other family members must obtain visitor visas.

Are there financial requirements for bringing my family to the U.S.?

As a requirement of the J-1 visa, the teacher must have sufficient financial resources to pay for all expenses of each accompanying family member with a J-2 visa during participation with Global.

Can my spouse or dependents legally work in the U.S. on the J-2 visa?

Any person living in the U.S. on a J-2 visa that is seeking employment must submit a work authorization application as well as pay required application fees to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). The application cannot be submitted until J-2 dependents have entered the U.S., and approval may take 60 – 90 days. If approved, J-2 dependents can then apply for their Social Security cards and consider employment in the U.S.

Is it possible for my children to attend the school where I teach?

In most cases, children may attend the school where their parents teach. However, each district differs in their regulations, therefore it is important to contact the hiring school district to determine enrollment requirements. If your child is not eligible to attend the school of your employment, your child will be eligible to attend a public school within the school district based on your home address.

Will I be guaranteed employment for the entire three years?

Teachers in the U.S. are always hired on a year-to-year contract, with every intention of rehiring all teachers annually. However, continued employment is dependent upon your ability to teach successfully in the classroom in accordance with the requirements of your school district. The terms of program participation are addressed in detail in the Global Teacher Agreement provided to all participants prior to the start of the program.

Will I be prepared professionally prior to beginning my teaching assignment?

Global provides Introductory Online and U.S. Arrival orientation and training sessions for teachers new to the program. These orientations offer information on living and teaching in the U.S., the visa process, budgeting, transportation, etc.

In which states does Global currently offer teaching positions?

Global currently works with school districts located in North Carolina, South Carolina and Virginia.

When is the academic year in the U.S.?

In general, the U.S. school year often begins in late August and continues until early June. Additionally, many schools have converted to year around schools. All teachers are given holidays and time off according to the policies and procedures of their school district. Teachers in traditional schools typically enjoy two weeks of holiday time in December and about two months of time off in the summer.

What is the maximum length I can teach in the U.S. with Global?

Teachers can stay in the U.S. on their J-1 visa for 3 years and can extend their visa for 2 additional years, for a maximum of 5 years.

May I choose the location of my teaching position?

Throughout the interview process, Global attempts to match the teacher with their desired location. However, due to Global not knowing when and where employment opportunities will arise, teachers that are flexible regarding location are more likely to secure a teaching position.

How will I be sponsored to teach in the U.S.?

Global is the official designated sponsor of your J-1 Visa designated by the U.S. Department of State. These visas are available only to non-U.S. citizens and non-permanent residents of the U.S.

What is the annual salary of a Global teacher?

In general, Global teachers are paid on the same salary scale as U.S. teachers, according to education and experience. Your salary will be determined by years of teaching experience and by the policies of the district and state in which you teach. When offered a position, Global will supply you with your estimated payments.

How much does housing cost?

Most teachers live in apartments. The cost for rent varies depending on the area in which you live. Sharing an apartment with a roommate is often a good idea, saves on expenses and allows for more social connections. We also encourage you to consider a living arrangement near U.S. citizens to enhance your cultural experience.

Is there information provided to teachers on banking in the U.S.?

Global works with selected U.S. banks to establish a bank and checking account upon arrival in the U.S. A representative from a Banking institution will be present and have more information at the U.S. Arrival orientation.

Is my air travel to the U.S. paid for?

Global provides our first-year teachers with one-way airfare from a major airport in their home countries to the U.S. Arrival Orientation in the U.S. Additional travel to and from your home country for holidays, etc., will be at your expense.

What are the medical and health benefits offered?

As required by the U.S. Department of State, all teachers must be enrolled in a healthcare plan. Global teachers are offered a comprehensive health benefits program offered through United Health Care. Global pays a large portion of the monthly premium, with teachers responsible for paying a portion of the monthly premium.

Apply to the ACE Teacher Program

Apply Now

Pin It on Pinterest